Voting Information

Absentee Ballot Process 

ALERT: Due to COVID-19 (coronavirus) there have been changes to the absentee voting criteria for New Hampshire voters. Voters who either have COVID-19, are caring for someone who has COVID-19, or believe that voting in person will expose them to COVID-19 can apply for, and receive an absentee ballot. To receive your absentee ballot you must sign the "disability" affidavit on the application. Voters are encouraged to apply for their absentee ballot ASAP in order to receive it in advance of the September election. All absentee ballots must be received by 5pm on Election Day to be counted. If you have any questions please contact your City or Town Clerk.

Absentee ballots are available from your town or city clerk approximately 30 days before an election. A person may vote by absentee ballot if:

  • They will be absent from the city/town in which they are qualified to vote on the day of an election
  • You are physically disabled and unable to vote in person
  • You are a member (or a spouse or a dependent of a member) of the uniformed services who will be absent on election day
  • Your observance of a religious commitment prevents you from voting in person
  • You are unable to appear at any time during the polling hours at your polling place because of a work obligation that requires you to remain physically at work or be in transit to or from work from the time the polls open until after the polls close. Work can include unpaid care of children or infirm adults.

To request an absentee ballot, you may download the application. You can also submit a request in writing. You must include all the information that is on the application. Don't forget your name, voting address, mailing address and your signature.

ID Needed for Voter Registration 

When registering to vote, you are required to provide proof of identity, age, citizenship, and domicile (where you live). Proof of identity, age, citizenship and domicile can be shown by providing one or more of the below options:

  • Current driver's license or non-driver's license
  • Current passport
  • Current military photo ID
  • Naturalization papers
  • Student ID
  • Employee ID
  • Birth Certificate
  • Rental lease
  • Evidence of a home purchase
  • Vehicle registration
  • Tax bill
  • Utility bill
  • Proof that you've asked the Post Office to use your street address as your mailing address
  • Any other document that reasonably establishes your identity and local domicile

Identity, age, and citizenship can be proven by affidavit if you do not have documents for these.

If you go to register more than 30 days before an election, and you do not have proof of where you live, you will be asked to come back later with that proof before you register. If you register less than 30 days before the election, or on Election Day and you do not have proof of where you live you will be given a ballot. You will be asked to return within several weeks with paperwork, if you can get such documents (check with the ballot officials for specific time frame in your town and for the list of documents you might provide). No penalty applies if you fail to return with the documents.

If you register within 30 days of an election or on Election Day:

  • If you can, bring papers to prove your identity, age, citizenship and where you live.
  • If you don't have a driver's license, passport or birth certificate (or naturalization papers), you can prove your identity, age, and citizenship by signing a form provided by the election official.
  • Students at colleges or boarding schools may bring paperwork from school officials to prove they live on-campus. They may also show this on a smartphone.
  • You will be asked to sign a statement saying you understand the registration requirements and that you have told the truth on the form.

ID Needed for Voting? 

A photo ID will be requested of you, but you may sign a simple affidavit and have your photo taken.

Acceptable Federal and State Photo IDs (may be expired within the last five years, unless you are over 65 and then no expiration restrictions apply)

  • Driver's license issued by any state
  • Non-driver's photo ID from any state
  • US Armed Services photo ID
  • US passport or passport card
  • NH photo ID issued by the DMV for voting purposes only

Student Photo IDs (issued or expiration date within 5 years)

  • NH schools including public and private colleges and universities, community colleges and licensed career schools
  • Public high schools and private high schools that are approved by the NH Department of Educations


  • A photo ID deemed acceptable by a Supervisor of the Checklist, Moderator or Town or City Clerk
  • Verification of a person's identity by a Supervisor of the Checklist, Moderator or Town or City Clerk
  • An affidavit filled out and signed by the voter and an authorized election officer

If you are over 65 years old you may use a photo ID regardless of its expiration date. Voters younger than 65 years old may not use a photo ID that has been expired more than 5 years.

If you do not have an approved photo ID you may get a free photo ID for voting purposes only by presenting a voucher from your town/city clerk to any New Hampshire DMV office that issues identification.

****You can use this polling place locator to find your polling location.****

Provisional Voting 

Because there is Election Day registration, there is no provisional ballot process in New Hampshire.